A Day in My Life.

by Elizabeth on December 12, 2013

I’ve really enjoyed seeing these “A Day in the Life” posts on other people’s blogs so I wanted to share my overly interesting typical day with you. Unfortunately, I planned to do it on a pretty normal day and then things changed. But hey, with kids in tow that’s what’s normal around here! We just go with it ;-)

4:58 AM: Alarm goes off. Up and at ‘em! I’m NOT a snooze button person at all. Once my eyes are open and my brain is thinking I’m awake! Which I really like…

5:07: Put on as many layers as I’ll need (4) to brave the 32 degree weather and wind. Head out the door. Oh yah I peed and brushed my teeth too.

5:55: Finish run/walk, head back in to warm up, and high five Joe on his way out the door to work. Just kidding. I tried to high five him and he gave me a weird look and said go back to bed. 

6:15: Shower, hydrate, and jump back into my warm bed for a nap before Noah wakes up at 8.

7:13: Hear Noah crying almost an hour earlier than normal. It’s an “I’m in pain” cry too so I head up to his room. He definitely feels feverish so I take him downstairs and get him water. The only thing I can get him to eat is a fruit squeeze pouch and I wrestle with him crying on the floor to get some Tylenol in. Fun times. Then I make myself breakfast.

Photo 1 9

Photo 2 8

And pack him a lunch.

Photo 3 8

7:30-8:30: Get him and myself ready to go to his Christmas program at school. He seems a little better and I’ve been (selfishly) excited to watch the little kids sing Christmas songs so I figure we can make it through that and then come back home. Also start some laundry and the dishwasher.

9:15: I was wrong. He’s fast asleep again by the time we’re at school and I don’t want to wake him. I also had to just put aside my own plans and realize it’s not fair to get other kids sick? He did look pretty dang cute in his Christmas sweater though.

Photo 4 4

9:30: I’m supposed to drive to see my dietician (an hour away) after the program and don’t want to cancel on her so I ended up calling my mother-in-law and asking her to watch him for a few hours so I can make the appointment. She agrees so I head over to her house. And my weird, awkward selfie.

Photo 2 9

10:30: Start the drive! Then realize I don’t have an EZ tag in the new car and I will be adding 25 minutes to the drive since I can’t take the toll road! Luckily I have plenty of time. What I didn’t have was a lunch…

Photo 3 9

The jalepeno BBQ burger looked pretty tempting but I went with the southwest chicken salad. 

12:00: Eat lunch in the kitchen at treatment before my 12:30 appointment then hang out in the waiting room.

Photo 4 5


Photo 5

12:30: Meet with Michelle. She’s extremely pleased with how things are going weight and pregnancy wise thus far! Originally I planned to not know my weight during this pregnancy so I didn’t get too focused on numbers. After thinking it through I decided I did want to know so that even when the number is high, I can know that and STILL experience life to the fullest. A few years back, everything was about a number. If I liked the number I saw everything was great? I could go out, dress up, socialize, have fun and be happy. If I didn’t like the number all the walls came crashing down. All I could think about was getting it lower again. It’s a terrible way to live and I figure by doing something differently (knowing my weight is high and in a good place and still living life) I can come out on the other side. Now, I fully realize I am pregnant and this changes things yet this time around, it’s still my decision (rather than being in a hospital and being forced) to gain a healthy amount of weight. 

2:00: Begin the (long) drive back home to pick up Noah. Stop twice to pee. Thank you baby for positioning yourself so perfectly on top of my bladder :-)

3:30: Ridin’ dirty through the CVS drive through to pick up a prescription and Zyrtec for Noah (realize later I forgot the Zyrtec). 

4:00: Make it home, continue laundry, clean up a little, write this post while I wait for my MIL to drop Noah off since he was still sleeping when I called her. 

5:00: MIL calls and says Noah is STILL sleeping (3.5 hours later) and doesn’t want to wake him so they’ll bring him when he wakes up.

5:30: Noah makes it home and is doing a little better. He watches Daniel Tiger while I start prepping dinner. Last night was TJ garlic herb pizza with marinara, cheese, jalepenos and  meat. You’d think after a full day (and life) of taking pictures I could manage some non-blurry pics for ya but nope, that’d be too much to ask.

Photo 110

6:30: Joe makes it home and we sit down to dinner and catch up on our days. Noah refuses to eat pizza (I know he doesn’t feel well!) so I don’t force it. 

7:00: Joe heads out to pick up the Zyrtec I forgot and I give Noah a bath and wash dishes. 

7:30: Joe comes home with Zicam? ay yay yay. In his defense Zicam is a cough suppressant and Zyrtec is for allergies. Yet that’s what we were instructed by the ped to give him so honest mistake. 

8:00: Sit down to watch a Christmas movie but it’s so corny we turn it off. Joe goes through the mail while I lay with Noah for a few minutes until he tells me he’s hungry. Cheese stick and a banana for him and few spoonfuls of pb for me. 

8:20: Brush teeth, read a story, say prayers.

8:40: Put Noah down and he falls right asleep.

9:05: Decide it’s a perfectly acceptable time for us to go to bed too. We also fall right asleep!

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Runner Girl Eats December 12, 2013 at 7:56 am

Hope Noah is feeling better today! He must not be feeling well if he turned down pizza ;)
Runner Girl Eats recently posted…Raining tacosMy Profile


2 Andrea R. @ Morning Runner Girl December 12, 2013 at 8:48 am

What a day! Call me nosy, but I honestly love when bloggers do a “day in the life of…” I love hearing about what other have going on in their days!
That pizza looks delicious!
I head to bed at about 9:30 every night as well! :)
Andrea R. @ Morning Runner Girl recently posted…I?m Feelin? Good (Part 2)My Profile


3 Elizabeth @ Positive Change December 12, 2013 at 9:13 am

Crazy day! I hope Noah and doing okay today!
Elizabeth @ Positive Change recently posted…Some Heavy Stuff to Start your ThursdayMy Profile


4 Katie @ running4cupcakes December 12, 2013 at 9:22 am

I love reading these posts too. . . sorry that Noah had a rough day. I am sure glad that your MIL was able to step in and help out. Hope the little guy is feeling better today!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted…{2} DIY Christmas CraftsMy Profile


5 Amanda @ .running with spoons. December 12, 2013 at 9:45 am

I seriously love these kind of posts, but then again? I’m super nosy ;) Hope Noah is feeling better today! And I’m definitely with you on not being a snooze button person AT ALL. I’m basically ready to jump out of bed as soon as I open my eyes.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. thinking out loud #56 .My Profile


6 Michelle Kim December 12, 2013 at 10:26 am

Great, fun post!
I was also obsessed with numbers in high school (number on the scale, number of calories, number of hours exercised, blah blah blah). Wondering if I’ll be okay with knowing the number on the scale when (God-willing, of course) I’m pregnant. I think it’s really awesome that you are able to move passed the number and just think about life, especially of the life growing in you :D
Michelle Kim recently posted…Cross on a HillMy Profile


7 [email protected] December 12, 2013 at 10:41 am

I agree wtih Amanda, I love these kind of posts too because I’m the nosiest person ever! I hope your little man is feeling better today. Bummer that you missed the Christmas progrma but I’m sure there will be more Christmas activities to do!


8 Debbie @ DebRuns December 12, 2013 at 11:20 am

I hope Noah is feeling better! And kudos to your MIL for helping out!
Debbie @ DebRuns recently posted…Running For TaylorMy Profile


9 Laura @ Sneakers and Spatulas December 12, 2013 at 11:40 am

When I was little I would stay at my Grandma’s when sick. She said she knew when I was feeling better as I would start asking for an Arby’s sandwich! It was our thing to eat Arby’s together.
Laura @ Sneakers and Spatulas recently posted…Kundalini Yoga and ZinBurgerMy Profile


10 Selena December 12, 2013 at 11:50 am

You posted (perhaps inadvertantly) the sign I made under the “waiting room” sign. That has made me inexplicably happy. Of course, now I’m crying because I miss you guys so much.
Hugs and hope Noah is back to his usual boisterous self very soon.


11 Elizabeth December 12, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Nope, the S.B. is at the bottom so I think if you every time I walk by it. Miss you friend. Have a Merry Christmas!


12 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries December 12, 2013 at 11:55 am

I’m right there with ya on the snooze thing! Looks like a great day! :)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted…12/12/13: Thursday ThoughtsMy Profile


13 Leslie December 12, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Busy busy day and poor Noah! Hopefully he will be better soon! Happy Thursday!
Leslie recently posted…Shopping successMy Profile


14 Caroline December 12, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Wake up at 4:58? I sleep until I hear C making noise on the monitor (which is usually 9ish). I need to get my tail in gear and start running in the morning… the jogging stroller is getting harder to push these days!

Hope your little one is feeling better soon!!
Caroline recently posted…Save Your Sanity: Meal Planning Made Easy {Part 3-Organization}My Profile


Leave a Comment

CommentLuv badge

Previous post:

Next post: